This fun idea involves two of my favorite things… candy and sushi! I have wanted to try making candy sushi since I saw the idea years ago. This past week I finally got to it and it’s not only super easy but almost too cute to eat. There are unlimited variations you can make (including regular sushi rolls and nigiri sushi) with your favorite sweets. I even added strawberry sour-belts in the center of my sushi plate as ‘ginger’. Check out the ingredients I used and steps to create your own below.
1. Make a regular batch of rice krispie treats (I use the recipe from the back of the Rice Krispie box) and spread it out evenly on a cookie sheet, using your hands or a rolling pin to make the treats flat – about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Cut rice krispie treats into slabs and place on a new cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking
3. Take candy of your choice for center of sushi (it’s easiest with licorice or gummy worms because they are long), place on edge of rice krispie slab, roll into sushi roll and cut off the rest of the slab
4. Secure the roll by slightly pinching the edges together or covering in a fruit roll-up (the seaweed)
5. Slice roll into pieces of sushi with sharp knife. It may be easier to cut if you put the sushi in the freezer for a couple of minutes.
6. Top your sushi with Swedish fish, gummy sharks, or whatever candy you feel like! I also wrapped extra pieces of fruit roll-up around the rolls to attach fish on top.
7. Continue making rolls until your slab of rice krispie treat runs out. You can also create nigiri rolls with the extra rice krispie treat you have by shaping it into a rectangle and topping it with candy.
8. Accent the sushi with ginger (strawberry sour belts) and enjoy!