Whenever I travel somewhere new, the first thing on my list is to find an authentic candy store. So, of course that’s the first thing I looked for when we went to Isla Mujeres this summer on our honeymoon. Isla Mujeres is a small island off of Cancun and by far one of my favorite places I have been. The island is only about three miles long, so we rented a golf cart for the week and explored the island. The island is private, relaxing, beautiful, and has the BEST food!
We found ourselves asking (more like Preston found himself asking – thank goodness he speaks Spanish and talked to everyone for us!) just about everyone we met if they knew of an authentic place to find ‘dulces’, or Mexican candy. Everyone told us to go to grocery stores which isn’t the most exciting way to discover candy from somewhere new. But, on the last day we ran into a piece of heaven. We happened to find TWO authentic Mexican candy stands – exactly what I was looking for! When I saw the bright colors and all the sweets stacked up like I imagined, I thought I was a kid again. If you ever get the chance to visit Isla Mujeres, these stands are located on the south end of the island and only open in the evening, which is probably why no one knew about them. Check out some of our favorite finds below.
1.Chilingos (Mango with Chili) – These are delicious!! They are a piece of mango covered in chili powder that almost makes it taste sour (sounds gross, I know) and they definitely take time to get used to but I ended up loving them!
2. Bubli Bubli (Mexican bubblegum) – I’m a big fan of bubblegum so these are one of my favorites because they come in fun flavors like mango and lime.
3. De La Rosa Mazapan – I had never head of Mazapan before, but it is super popular in Mexico. It’s basically ground peanuts and powdered sugar mixed together and it tastes so good! We brought lots of these home and I eat one almost every night.
4. Chocoretas – I am a lover of all things mint, so of course I loved these. The mint and chocolate combo is classic!
5. Limon 7 – These are Preston’s favorite. I am not a fan but there is something about salt and lemon that they love in Mexico! These are basically just packets of salt and lime seasoning.
6. Tubes of sugar – I can’t find the name of these tubes filled with little sugary balls but they are so good! Definitely a favorite so if anyone knows the name of them, let me know.
7. Pelon Pelo Rico – Another one of Preston’s favorites. I saw these everywhere and they are definitely one of the most popular candies in Mexico. They love candy flavored with tamarind that gives it a super strong and distinct flavor that takes some time to get used to.